HISTORICAL WAR MEMORIAL


Burnham on Crouch War Memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 August 1921 on a riverside site in the High Street.

The unveiling drew crowds that were reported as the largest ever seen in Burnham on Crouch with stands being erected around the memorial to seat the relatives of the fallen.

A service was led by the Ministers from all of the local churches with an address by Robert Leslie OBE, who had recently received the OBE for his war work in relation to disabled servicemen.

The memorial was designed by London architect, Mr Frank Atkinson at a cost of £700 which was raised by benefactors and public subscription. The brass name plates listing the fallen were cast at the local foundry of Booth and Brooks.

After the Second World War further panels were added to commemorate the fallen servicemen and civilians during that war.

Since the unveiling the war memorial has become the focal point for remembering the war dead of Burnham on Crouch on Remembrance Day and at other anniversaries.
© Copyright 2017 Burnham-on-Crouch Town CouncilWeb Design By Toolkit Websites