THE CLOCK TOWER

Burnham clock tower is a red brick octagonal clock tower with black brick quoins and diapering, built in four stages with a fish scale tiled ogee roof. The tower was erected in 1877 by public subscription in memory of Mr Laban Sweeting.

Laban Sweeting was a local oyster merchant who was a noted philanthropist to both individuals and groups in the area. Amongst his many achievements was founding the Burnham branch of the Essex Provident Society and becoming Superintendent of district Sunday Schools

When he died on 22 November 1876 there was an outpouring of grief amongst the people of Burnham and a fund was set up to purchase a public clock in his memory. The initial intention was to erect a public clock but within two months so much money was donated that enabled a Clock Tower to be built to house the clock.

The tower was then attached to the existing St Mary’s School in the High Street to recognise the work that Labal Sweeting has carried out on behalf of local children.
© Copyright 2017 Burnham-on-Crouch Town CouncilWeb Design By Toolkit Websites